It is a great pleasure for us to invite you to IFSO APC 2019 which will be held in March 2019, in Guangzhou. It will be our honor and privilege to welcome members from all over the world to attend this very special scientific event. The disease of obesity has been growing tremendously and we need to educate and interact with the medical fraternity about the scientific ways to treat it. The IFSO APC will offer an international view on the state-of-the-art treatments for obesity and diabetes, addressing all the advancements and challenges in this field. The scientific program will include Oral, Poster and Video presentations, Live Surgery, Symposia and hot topic debates. We look forward to meeting you in Guangzhou to combine the highest level of science with the typical Chinese lifestyle.
Guidelines and instructions
You are invited to submit original abstracts in any of the congress’ scientific topics. Please ensure you read the guidelines and instructions below to avoid rejection of your abstracts.
NOTE: Abstracts submitted by email, fax or post will NOT be accepted. The Scientific Committee will not accept responsibility for any abstracts that have not been properly submitted according to the instructions.
Abstracts must contain original scientific data collected by the author(s). All abstracts will be reviewed by the Scientific Committee.
The abstract may be scheduled for presentation on any day from 21-23 March 2019.
All abstracts must be submitted in English using the online submission form. Please follow carefully the templategiven.
- The title of the abstract must be less than 20 words.
- The body of the abstract must be concise with less than 350 words.
The abstract must be split into the following sections:
- There are three types of presentation available – Oral, Poster and Video. Please note that selecting oral will not ensure that your abstract is considered for oral presentation. As presentation slots are limited your abstract may be reallocated for poster presentation.
- Abbreviations and SI units should be defined, in parenthesis, in its first use in the abstract.
- Tables must be attached into the body of the abstract – a maximum of 2 can be submitted. Please note that inserting tables will reduce your word capacity.
- Please note that these tables may be resized to fit the final printed material.
- No figures will be allowed
- Videos – Please submit the abstract and upload the video for review. Maximum size of the video: 80 MB. Acceptable video format is: .mp4. Suggested Codec: H.264.
- Videos should be in a standardized format:
- (1) video title
- (2) clinical presentation and indication for surgery
- (3) preoperative x-ray images/endoscopy/blood results
- (4) operative procedure
- (5) postoperative outcome
Videos must include verbal narration. Narration must use generic terms, and no use of commercial/proprietary names is allowed. Videos must not exceed 7 minutes in length.
Careful typing and proofreading are essential, as otherwise the abstract may be amended or rejected.
- Results reported using statements such as “results will be presented” or “data will be analysed” will not be accepted.
- A maximum of 5 abstracts will be accepted per presenting author. Those who have already reached this number can only be listed as co-author.
- There are no limits of authors per abstract.
- Presenters will be notified of their abstract acceptance by January 20, 2019.
- Please note that all abstract presenters are required to register to attend the meeting by the Early Bird deadline,no later than February, 10 2019. If they have not registered by this date their abstract will be withdrawn.
- Further information on your presentation (presentation time for oral presenters, set up details for poster presenters) will be published on the website www.ifso-apc2019.com.
Correspondence and instructions for abstract submission
The submitter will be requested to register on the website with a username and password (a confirmation email will follow). The submitter will be entitled to receive all correspondence and notifications related to the submitted abstract(s).
Once registered in the system the submitter can log in his personal area and start the procedure.
Please click on “Create abstract” and start to fill in your full contacts details. You will be requested to select a topic and a type of presentation. Immediately afterwards please upload your abstract both in Word and PDF file, using the template given. Please rename the files with the family name of the presenting author.
You can continue the procedure listing the full list of Authors with related affiliations and contacts. If the submitter is an Author as well, please click on “Fill with submitter data”.
Do not forget to indicate the presenting Author clicking on the related button.
At the end of the procedure the submitter will receive an email confirming the receipt of the abstract and he can enter his personal area at any time using his username and password to make any changes to Authors, Title, and to re upload a new text till the abstract submission deadline. After this deadline the abstract cannot be modified anymore.
The personal area of each submitter will display the list of all submitted abstracts with related details.
Abstracts will be published in “Obesity Surgery”, the official Journal of IFSO edited by Springer which will be available in electronic format by the date of the conference.
In case the main author of an accepted abstract doesn’t attend the Congress to present his/her abstracts, without any valid written justification, the Scientific Committee will contact the author to ask for the reason of the absence. If no valid justification is provided, the IFSO Executive Board might consider to suspend the author from participation in the next two IFSO APC Congresses.
Abstract withdrawal/replacement policy
If the First Author cannot attend and present, s/he must submit in writing to a formal:
A) Abstract Withdrawal Request
Withdrawals must be submitted not later than 2 weeks prior to the Congress indicating the reason for withdrawal (Unable to travel, Schedule conflict, Change of employment, Inability to obtain a visa, Other).
Withdrawn abstracts will not be published on Obesity Surgery Abstract Book (online supplement).
B) Request for approval of a co-author listed on the abstract as a substitute presenter
Replacement requests must be submitted at latest 3 days before the beginning of the Congress indicating the reason for replacement.
By submitting your work to the IFSO APC 2019, you consent to have authors’ names, affiliation and biographical material used in connection with the publication of your work.
Submitted abstracts/cases should not have been published in any other journals and/or online publications, nor submitted and waiting for publication, nor presented at any previous international congress.
If the article has been submitted to a journal and is waiting for approval by that journal, the author must inform the organizing secretariat of the Congress and if the article is accepted by the journal before the Congress, the abstract will be cancelled from the scientific program.
A submitter, presenter or co-author submitting or presenting published work will lead to:
- Withdrawal of their presentation from the Press Conference and/or Scientific Session.
- Prohibition of submitting abstracts/cases to any IFSO congress for one year.
Submitted abstracts/cases must report new information not previously published or presented at a national or international scientific meeting prior to the Congress. Note that abstracts/cases previously presented at meetings will not be accepted unless there is a substantial update of data.
Identified duplicates will be retracted from all related IFSO publications.
The content belongs to the author(s). However if the abstract/case is accepted, the submitter agrees, on behalf of all co-authors, to transfer and assign to IFSO the rights to reformat, publish, reproduce, distribute and prepare derivative works such as press releases and/or educational products directly or with partners. This includes use in indexes or search databases in print, electronic, or other media.
Author(s) retain the right, after presentation at the Congress, to subsequently include the work in articles, books, or derivative works that he/she authors or edits, provided said use does not imply the endorsement of IFSO.
The submitter signs for all co-authors. He/she accepts responsibility for the present rules for submission and presentation on behalf of all co-authors.
I also grant and assign to IFSO-APC 2019 the rights to film, record, reproduce, reprint, and otherwise make use of the works, or any presentation of the works, in any media or format, and authorize the IFSO-APC 2019 to use my name, likeness, photograph, and biographical data in connection with its use and promotion of the works in connection with education works related to the Congress.
* If you have any problem submitting your abstract through the online system, please contact the Secretariat at: email@example.com.
- Adjustable gastric banding
- Integrated Health or Multidisciplinary care
- Anesthesia and bariatric surgery
- Banded procedures
- Bariatric registries
- Bariatric surgery in children, adolescents or elderly
- Basic science and research in bariatric surgery
- Emergent technology
- Endoscopic and Percutaneous Interventional Procedures
- Enhanced recovery in bariatric surgery
- Fertility, pregnancy and bariatric surgery
- Gastric bypass procedures including Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) and One Anastomosis gastric bypass (OAGB)/MGB
- Gastric Plication
- Gastric Stimulation and Nerve Blockade
- Hernia surgery in the bariatric patient
- Malabsorptive bariatric operations
- Medical management of bariatric patients
- Metabolic Disorders, Epidemiology, Physiology
- Nutrition after bariatric surgery
- Plastic surgery after weight loss
- Pre-operative management or postoperative care
- Post-operative complications
- Primary care and the bariatric surgery patient
- Psychology and bariatric surgery
- Revisional surgery
- Robotic bariatric surgery
- Management of weight regain after surgery
- New (Non-standard) Surgical Techniques
- Sleeve gastrectomy and sleeve plus
- Surgery and strategies for low BMI or high BMI
- Technology and bariatric surgery
- Type 2 diabetes and metabolic surgery
- Young IFSO-APC session
Scientific organizing committee
Local chair: Cunchuan Wang
Members: Jingang Liu, Shaihong Zhu, Simon Wong
IFSO APC President
IFSO APC President Elect
Chair of the scientific committee APC
Chair of I.H. Committee