Welcome to FOAN International Work Shop on Fiber Optics in Access Networks.
After the successful workshops in Moscow (2010), Budapest (2011), St. Petersburg (2012), Almaty(2013), Brno (2015), Lisbon (2016), Munich (2017) in 2019 we are in Sarajevo.
The primary goal of FOAN 2019 is to bring and present the latest research in the field of Fiber Optics Technologies for Access network. The idea behind the workshop is to create opportunity to learn new things by gathering scientists and experts from academies, industry and operators in this field that will during the workshop share their knowledge, experience, and ideas.
Aproviding an open forum for researchers, engineers, network planners and service providers targeted on newly emerging algorithms, systems, standards,
FOAN is an annual international workshop providing an open forum for academies, industry and operators in the field of Fiber Optics Technologies for Access network.
Papers registration: April 30 ;
Paper submission: May 10;
Notification of Paper Acceptance: July 15;
Final Paper submission: July 22;
The authors are encouraged to submit full papers (up to 6 pages) describing original, previously unpublished, complete research, not currently under review by another conference or journal, addressing state-of-the-art research and development in all areas bellow.
All papers will be peer reviewed (authors will receive detail comments of submitted paper). Accepted and presented papers will be sent for indexing and abstracting in IEEE Xplore® digital library and for indexing in SCOPUS databases
Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- New opportunities with FOAN technologies (like XGPON, 10GEPON, 40GPON, WDM-PON, a hybrid network, FTTx, EP2P, AE ..);
- Integration of different networks: Fiber, FSO, Wireless, ..
- Fiber optics in 5G network;
- Business cases in the access area with special reference to the current solution and the possible upgrade paths;
- Mobile back haul and front haul
- Practical access solution;
- New architectures and typologies;
- Bandwidth allocation strategies;
- Energy efficient frameworks;
- Impact of regulation on development of Access Networks;
NG PON2 interoperability
- Test setup, trial experience,
- OLT to ONT communication
- PLOAM interaction
- Wavelenght Mobility
- laser switching time
- City Sensor Network;
- Urban Security and Public Safety Technology
- Video Network, Video Analysis and Pattern Recognition;
- Transportation and Connected Vehicles
- Smart Application for Health,
- Smart Application for Governance,
- Other Related Areas
- Residential home gateway;
- Home Sensor Network;
- Home networking and wireless communications
- Smart Home Illumination;
- Smart Application for Health;
- Smart home monitoring and security;
- IP V6 in home devices;
Internet of Things (IoT)
- Network infrastructure, wireless
- Sensors, energy harvest
- IoT in Healthcare, in Government, in Enterprises,
- Service providers and industrial analitics
- Standards and Certifications
- Security Strategy
- Modification of GPON, GEPON, XGPON, 10GEPON, 40GPON, P2P, 1G P2P..
- Improvement in all access technologies and mechanisms
- WDM-PON, Colored PON,
- Fiber: the new types, Photonic fiber uses, compatibility of different types, POF in access network, Photonic fiber..
- Measurements in PONs
- Connectors: the new types, impact at FOAN,
- The burst laser diode
- Multi-wavelength optical sender/receiver
- Extension of FOAN Links: Wireless, DSL extension, home gateway ..
- Impact of fiber impairments in long reach PONs
- Migration schemes, Convergence of PONs, NGPON1, NGPON2
- TDM over PONs, TDM services in NG PONs
- Metro GPON, Long Reach PON<
- Optical Network Switching Architectures
- Optical Network Protection and Restoration
- Radio over Fiber in Access Network
- Hybrid optical-wireless architecture/connectivity/protocols
QoS and QoE
- Mechanisms of QoS in access network;
- Comparing access technology with aspect of QoS;
- Quality of Experience (QoE): focus on the end-user, How to measure & handle it,
- QoE and Fairness; Is the final bandwidth distribution fair enough? Challenges and solutions.
- New services: Multi screen, 3DTV, interactive TV, remote controle over FOAN links, robotics ..
- New applications: GSM, LTE, business services, sensing, monitoring, new home applications...
- Clean-slate approach in optical access networks.
The hottest results in fiber optic technology
- Research in basis optical elements: laser devices, amplifiers, receivers, laser and receiver circuit.
- Modulations of optical beam
- High-throughput fiber optical links.
- Fair and Efficient bandwidth distribution